This tutorial shows how to build a serverless API with Golang and Redis. The API will simply count the page views and show it in JSON format.
- Serverless compute: AWS Lambda (Golang)
- Serverless data store: Redis via Upstash
- Deployment tool: AWS SAM
- An AWS account for AWS Lambda functions.
- Install AWS SAM CLI tool as described here to create and deploy the project.
- An Upstash account for serverless Redis.
Run the sam init and then
- Select AWS Quick Start Templates
- Select 4 - go1.x
- Enter your project name: go-redis-example
- Select 1 - Hello World Example SAM will generate your project in a new folder.
Our only dependency is redis client. Install go-redis via
go get github.com/go-redis/redis/v8
Create a Redis database from Upstash console. Free tier should be enough. It is pretty straight forward but if you need help, check getting started guide. In the database details page, click the Connect button. You will need the endpoint and password in the next step.
Edit the hello-world>main.go as below:
Replace the "YOUR_REDIS_ENDPOINT" and "YOUR_REDIS_PASSWORD" with your database's endpoint and password which you created in the Step 3. The code simply increments a counter in Redis database and returns its value in json format.
Now we are ready to deploy our API. First build it via
Then run the command
sam local start-api.
You can check your API locally on http://127.0.0.1:3000/hello
If it is working, you can deploy your app to AWS by running `sam deploy --guided`. Enter a stack name and pick your region. After confirming changes, the deployment should begin. The command will output API Gateway endpoint URL, check the API in your browser. You can also check your deployment on your AWS console. You will see your function has been created.
Click on your function, you will see the code is uploaded and API Gateway is configured.
- Check the template.yaml file. You can add new functions and APIGateway endpoints editing this file.
- It is a good practice to keep your Redis endpoint and password as environment variable.
- You can use serverless framework instead of AWS SAM to deploy your function.